Registrar Home
text ▪ Clemson HomehomeiROAR ▪ canvas ▪ phonebook 

   Clemson Home 〉 Registrar 〉 U.S. Veterans

Students must complete the Benefit Request Form to receive benefits for Summer and Fall 2018.

U.S. Veterans

Section 702 Veterans Choice Act
Clemson University is pleased to offer in-state tuition rates to our qualifying veterans and their dependents. For more information regarding the Section 702 of the Veterans Choice Act, please follow the link to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs page here:


United States' Veterans
Prospective Students click here.
Current Students click here to identify yourself as a veteran.accessRequired

Clemson University is approved by the Veterans Administration as a training facility for eligible veterans, servicepersons, reservists, widows and children of veterans. Eligibility and equivalent educational benefits are determined by the Veterans Administration (VA). The office of the certifying official coordinates the University's services to the students attending classes and receiving veteran's educational benefits. The certifying official collects, completes and processes the required substantiating documentation. In addition, the certifying official offers information about services on campus to assist with educational, career, personal and financial concerns. The office also serves as a point-of-contact and direct liaison between the veteran, the University and the Veterans Administration.

The certifying official is not part of the Veterans Administration, but an employee of Clemson University.


Education Assistance Programs
Chapter 33
Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill
Chapter 35 Dependents Assistance
Chapter 1606 Select Reserve
Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation


Receiving Benefits

Certificate of Eligibility
Once the Department of Veteran's Affairs has received your application and all the necessary documentation, the claim will be processed. Veterans and eligible dependents will receive notification of this action in the form of a Certificate of Eligibility. This certificate will indicate the type of benefit you are entitled to, the number of months you have to use your benefit and the date your benefit will expire.


Enrollment Certification for Benefit Eligibility
The University Certifying Official reports all the information regarding your enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Any changes in enrollment is electronically submitted to the DVA. Students receiving benefits under Chapter 30, 1606 & 1607 are required to Verify Enrollment (W.A.V.E) to the VA at the end of each month.

No paperwork will be forwarded to the Veterans Administration for processing and payment without the student's request. Students must complete the Benefit Request Form for each term that they wish to receive benefits. Completed forms are electronically sent to the office of the Certifying Official.


Audits, Withdrawals, Non-required Courses & Repeating a Course
The VA prohibits payment for any course that is not required for graduation. This includes repeats of a grade 'D' or better (unless a higher grade is required), withdrawals; the Co-op program and excessive electives cannot be certified. This does not apply for courses that you failed and must have for graduation. If you are unsure if a class can be certified, please contact our office at 656-7855.


Changes in Student Status
All students using education benefits from the VA are required by law to keep the University Certifying Official informed of all of the following:
  • Periods of enrollment
  • Audits & withdrawals
  • Change of major
  • Curriculum year changes
  • Course substitutions
  • Address change
  • Students called to Active Duty
Dropping the enrolled credit load below the minimums shown on Veteran's Credits may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits and a debt to the VA. Several different methods are used to collect over-payments. A statement of mitigating circumstances and supportive documentation may need to be submitted to the Veterans Administration.


Satisfactory Academic Progress
All students receiving education benefits from the VA are required to maintain academic progress according to the standards established by Clemson University. Clemson University's Standards of Progress are submitted to the state approving agency and the Department of Veteran's Affairs. Students who do not maintain satisfactory progress will have their benefits discounted and the Certifying Official will inform the VA of this action. The VA will determine the conditions for reinstatement of benefits.


Application for Veteran's Benefits
VA applications are designed to obtain the necessary information to determine your eligibility for educational assistance. Students may apply for educational benefits after being accepted to the University. Information regarding eligibility, applications, and certification may be obtained from the Veterans Administration (1-888-GI-BILL-1). To apply for veterans benefits, please visit


General Information
  • The Veterans Administration Educational Benefits are paid on a monthly basis. Students are required to pay the usual fees to the University at the time of registration. The first benefit check will be received approximately six to eight weeks after the first day of class.
  • Veterans Administration programs and policies and University services and procedures frequently change. Students should maintain contact with the certifying official's office.
  • Students' enrollment will be certified by semester or session. Payment should be continuous (including intervals between terms) if the students' request is received at least 40 days before the next enrollment period and there is not a break of 30 days or more between the semesters or sessions.
  • If a student withdraws from the University, drops a course that changes their training time (see chart below), or changes their major, they should contact this office about the necessary forms to complete.

Credit Hours for VA Benefits

See credit hours for VA benefits for all terms.


On-campus Contact

Jennifer Elliott, Certifying Official
Phone: 864-656-7855

Location and Mailing Address:
Clemson University
102 Sikes Hall
Office of Records and Registration
Box 345125
Clemson, SC 29634-5125

Please see information regarding Clemson's registration procedures.


Adobe Image


Registrar Index:   A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z     
Contact Clemson
(864) 656-3311
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634

Prospective Students
Current Students
Faculty & Staff
Parents & Families
Featured Links
Policy & Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Clemson University, Clemson, SC. All rights reserved.